We caught a bus from Iraklion to the site of Knossos early in the morning when there were very few tourists. The site was discovered in 1878 by Minos Kalokairinos and the excavations by Sir Arthur Evens began in 1900. The excavations continued for 35 years and the size exceeded the original expectations. The beauty of the palace is beyond compare. Much of the original palace was rebuilt and colors were reimagined by modern archeologists. We spent the day exploring and climbing through the ruins to see the renovated and rebuilt palace and frescoes. Seeing the dolphins, blue ladies, Minotaur and flowers that adorned the walls was a dream come true. We visited the Archaeological Museum Of Heraklion to see the bulls head, double headed axes, pottery covered in images of octopuses and beautiful swirling designs, topless priestesses holding snakes aloft and much more. A must see!
© Diane Alexander White PHOTOGRAPHY